End of Summer Catch Up

 I hadn't really planned to take a break away from my little blog, but somehow I did. This summer has been full. Full of goodness but still full.

So, instead of writing, I / we....


went to see the new Lion King, which I LOVED! The critics weren't too flattering, but I thought it was great. *


sewing dresses for little girls. It's been so long since I sewed a garment, and I was a bit rusty with a few techniques, but the sweetest part about these dresses,


besides the two cuties wearing them, is that


I sewed them on my mother-in-law's Necchni machine. She won it in the state fair over sixty years ago, with a raffle ticket, and used it to sew shirts for Cub Sweetheart and his brother, as well as most of her own clothing, and in later years she sewed aprons and doll blankets for my children, her grandchildren. The machine hadn't been used in well over twenty years, so it felt especially sweet to sew dresses for my grandaughters, her great-granddaughters, using her machine.

It also made me thankful for my own, more modern machine, which makes buttonholes a piece of cake. Her machine would sew through umpteen layers of heavy fabric, but only went back and forth and back and forth. For a mere $59.95 the local repair shop gave it a good cleaning and had it sewing like it was brand new.


We've been trying to have some more intentional time with our grands, one or two at a time. These two are cousins, about a year and a half apart, and a hoot to have dinner with. No more kid menus for these growing boys.


Enjoying Coeur d Alene's version of summer, and all the beautiful flower baskets that are hanging everywhere you go.
 We spied Santa apparently taking his summer vacation at a local restaurant. Look how cute he is!


Picking plums we spotted on a walk with Miss Lily, along a forgotten path. I'm amazed the deer left any for us. They'd make a great plum jam but I think we'll just snack on them.


And we replaced The Chief, our 2005 Navy Blue Jeep because it was starting to need repairs we din't want to invest in. So we found this 2015 model with very low miles, and they threw in a blu-tooth radio so we can make phone calls hands free, and a back up camera. This new Chief (named by a granddaughter who couldn't pronounce 'Jeep') should last us a good number of years, and I don't hate that the interior is dark grey so wet puppy paws won't show up as much either.

Okay, back to summer - there are only a few more weeks left before the leaves start turning and the temperatures start plummeting every night.

Hope everyone out there is having a great summer as well. Back soonish.

*We also recently saw The Art of Racing in the Rain, which we'd listened to on audio book several years ago, and a possibly slightly unknown movie called The Biggest Little Farm. It was a documentary but was so well done, the photography was beautiful and the story is impressive. If you have a green thumb, have a garden, used to have a garden, or want one, be sure to watch for it. 

Comments

Popular Posts