Rome Wasn't Built in a Day....



Can you stand talking about resolutions a bit more? Maybe you can just quit all of yours, and keep up with me on mine? It'll likely be more fun anyway, especially if you resolved to lose weight or exercise or stop whatever you do habitually but wish you didn't, like curse or complain.

My sweet mom was a solid resolution maker, and I treasure the few crumpled slips of paper I have, where she'd jotted her current year's down, then taped it over her kitchen sink. I love that there were items that made the list year after year, and all her crossing out and circling and exclamation points; it's almost as if I can hear her pondering outloud.

But what really encouraged me was a sermon about five years ago, by our beloved Pastor Rick; he said that very few people live intentional lives. I don't remember the scripture references, or many of the details of the sermon, but that thought stuck with me.

I also remember him sharing with us, as he sheepishly looked up at us, that he went in his back yard, under cover of night, and 'danced before the Lord'. It was at a small, conservative church where dancing isn't done much, and talked about even less, so I loved, loved that he was brave enough to share his story. Pastor Rick, I was listening. I took stock, and your words encouraged me to grab ahold of this life, make every day count because it's a gift, and we never know when today is our last one. Making resolutions or setting goals helps me set a path for the year, and keeps me on track as it goes along. And everyone should dance now and then, even if it's in their own backyard.

I shared last week that I'm clearing out clutter, digging in the back corners of closets and filling the van to make trips to Goodwill. But what about the other goals I set?

Well....


Physically, I have a touchy back, which is likely arthritis rather than anything wrong that can be fixed.  (Has anyone read the Jan Karon Mitford series, where one character refers to arthritis as Arthur? I love that!) What I really, really need is to have my lower back shot up with WD40!

In the meantime, I've been on the floor every single morning (since September 1, 2019) doing a series of stretches and core strengthening exercises. A friend of ours up in Idaho told me about a book called 'No More Aching Back', written by a doctor, and it's pretty boring but I read it anyway. It then gives pages of exercises to do every single day for the rest of your life, or you can stop and hurt again. While it hasn't been a magic pill, it has made a significant difference. So there's that. I also do yoga several times a week. I could improve my game a lot with aerobic exercising, and since I have a physical this summer, I should get on that. I tried it last week, and overdid it on the elliptical, and ended up icing my knee and wearing a brace for five days. Rome wasn't built in a day. I'll get back to that soon.

I scheduled several annual visits to get checked over, and am celebrating finally, finally turning the age that I will get a government issued card in the mail that opens the doors for much better health care than I've had for the past few. I'm giddy over it!

I surprised myself and decided to read through the Bible. There's something about the morning of January 1, opening to Genesis 1:1 and reading 'In the beginning.....' I found a version that takes you through the key passages in 365 days, This time I'm reading less and more slowly. And hoping I get to skip all the passages in Leviticus that discuss body fluids.

I'm also keeping a prayer journal on a password protected document. I've journaled for years, but don't love the idea of dropping dead and leaving them all behind; this is simple and doesn't clutter up a drawer or closet. Thanks for that tip to our Pastor / son-in-law in CDA, Idaho, Pace.



I also read through a book after Bible reading and prayer/journaling. I'm currently working through two books, Cherish* by Gary Smalley and The Emotionally Healthy Woman by Geri Scazzero. I paid about $23 for a series of videos ($24.99 on Amazon) to listen through, and bought the workbook for The Emotionally Healthy Woman, and it has been life shaping! I absolutely, absolutely recommend women to go through this study.

'Read well' was another goal: I'm still in my Nibs bookclub with our daughter and grandson, where we read through a big, fat book that was written at least 100 years ago and is at least 500 pages long. Right now we're reading the Brothers Karamazov, and a good translation is crucial. All the switching between the characters' Russian names can make your eyes roll back in your head, but I'm actually enjoying it. The three of us will sit down and talk about it when I visit Idaho sometime this spring, at which time my daughter and I will both sit stunned at how deep my grandson thinks! We've read through Les Miserables, Great Expectations, Old Curiosity Shop and a few others, and his take on them is fascinating. That kid absolutely devours books and I bet his college lit teachers are going to love having him in their classes.

That's enough update for now, even though I have several other categories of goals. I wanted to be more faithful about writing here, but if I go on too long you'll all run away and never come back. So we'll keep it briefish.

*Sidenote: Cherish is my word for 2020. 

Comments

I love that you're posting more often! I'm surprised to hear that you are selling your Texas house. You must be tired of all the traveling back and forth.
Bev said…
Hello Sharon, so nice of you to take the time to say hello! We will still be living between two places because our kids live 2000 miles apart, and they all kept our grandkids with them. :-) But our home in Texas is too far away from those kids, and Texas metroplex traffic can make 25 miles a real bear to travel. I DO get tired of traveling back and forth, but for now it's what we do. We're blessed to have family that wants us in their lives.
Sarah said…
I'm reading the Bible this year too, but I skipped the entire first five books and started in Joshua. I figured I've read the first five books about 25 times, each time I started the read-in-a-year plan but quit because February is already depressing up here without also having to read Leviticus. So I started with bloodshed and wars, which is also depressing but a lot more exciting, and I figure I'll round out the year by finishing up with the first five. Since the Bible never says I have to read it in order, I'm not! ;)
Bev said…
Sarah, that's a solid plan - love it! I hate ending the year with Revelations (one of my least favorite books). (I know, Jesus wins but I still don't enjoy it). So maybe a different order is a great plan.

Popular Posts