Not Taking Things for Granted

So we all know - deep down - that it's the little things, but in this complicated world it's so easy to forget that.

These past few weeks, and especially days, we've been given a stark reminder that so much of what we are blessed with, we take for granted.

Before I trashed my cornea, and ultimately ended up with a cornea transplant, I never once in my entire life woke up and thought, 'hey, thanks God for eyesight.'

After a transplant that was only made possible because someone's family suffered a loss, yet said yes to organ donation, I can see with both eyes. Not as well as I could, but I can see, which means I can drive, I can read, I can knit, I can care for my family, I can see the faces of those I love. And it could have easily been both of my corneas, so I'm also genuinely thankful that my sight in one eye is still 100%.

I don't take my eyesight for granted any more because I realize how quickly it can be taken away.

That's seeming true to me of so many things now.

Being able to be with family, or friends.

Being able to sit across the table from grandchildren and play Uno Attack.

Being able to go to the store and buy toilet paper or hamburger.

Being able to hug people.

Being able to sit in a restaurant and order a meal.

Being able to go to the theater and watch a movie.

Being able to go out and not be afraid I may bring home germs to Cub Sweetheart.

Being able to go to church services, and shake hands with those around me.

We have a family member who is in the medical field, and is currently very affected by this Covid19 outbreak. We also have neighbors who are serving as nurses as well. Through them we learned that there was a dire shortage of face masks, and the government was doing all they could to provide them, but there was an interim when none would be provided. There was a simple pattern, and it took minimal supplies and time to make face masks that could bridge the gap.


So we started a thing - it began with sending out an email to our neighborhood through the communications system that had very recently been put into place. Then we posted it on our private neighborhood page. Next our daughter-in-law created a new facebook group, which anyone could join. Within a matter of HOURS several women, and men! in our neighborhood had gathered fabric, elastic, and began cutting and putting together kits to get into the hands of seamstresses. We put a bin on our front porch with instructions, kits, a tub of lysol wipes, and it took off from there. In the town where our daughter-in-law lives, many young mothers pulled out their machines and fabric stashes as well and got busy sewing.

We've met many new neighbors, talked to others from a safe distance, we've texted and phoned and it's been wonderful overall.

I made one trip to the local Joann's to buy more elastic, and it is the first time in my entire life I have worn a facemask in public, but nobody acted like it was weird, because right now it isn't. It's just smart. This is my own personal one of the type we're all sewing.

kits ready to sew


masks being sewn in homes in our neighborhood

Cub Sweetheart cutting elastic for the seamstresses because he's the B.E.S.T. 

People who can't sew have stopped by to donate money to cover expenses for supplies. One woman called and asked me if she should cut up panties she bought that were too big, because she didn't have fabric, and I encouraged her to donate them to a homeless shelter, where there is always much need for that, and come by and pick up some fabric with Mickey Mouse or Snoopy or lighthouses or flags on it. I loved that she thought out of the box!

People have said how thankful they are for having a way to feel like they're helping, to stay busy when it would be easy to just sit and worry.  We've been so blessed to see them join arms in this cause, even if it's only theoretically speaking. I have encouraged them to go home and set their machine up somewhere they can watch the entire two seasons of Home Fires (on Amazon Prime) while they sew, because the show embodies what we are all doing now - what people have always done when times are difficult. They come together, quit fussing and complaining over the silly stuff of life that doesn't matter, like being able to sit in a restaurant, or going to the theater to see a movie.

That being able to hug people who don't live in my house 24/7? I miss that. But it'll be back soon, and our neighbors are saying we're going to have a hug party, and absolutely nobody will be allowed to be six feet away from anyone else.

In the meantime, whoever is living within the walls of your home right now, whether it's a bunch of bored, fussy kids, or almost grown kids who came home from college, or a spouse you weren't used to being with all the time just a few days go, or just your old dog, love on them extra, remembering how blessed you are to have someone to go through this with. Many are completely alone, and if you know any of those, give them a call, facetime with them, or ring the doorbell and step back to wait and find out if you can help in any way.

Our son-in-law who pastors our church in Idaho told us last week, via online worship, to make sure and contact someone every day through a phone call or text or face time, because we all need to be in touch with each other, especially now. I've done a lot more of that this past week and it really has helped in not feeling so isolated.

We're going to get through this, and we'll come out of it a more grateful people. I'm confident of that. 

Comments

Anonymous said…
Amen well said...as usual
Vicki
Bev said…
Thanks Vicki, It's. nice to see your face at my doorstep, even if it is six feet away :-)
Sarah said…
I love this post, Mom! I'm proud of you! Hugging you virtually and from 2000 miles away today. :)

Popular Posts