Currently....



I'm - thinking about the flow of time:  2021 is a week in the books, already. Only 51 left and that sounds so dramatic, but it really will slowly slip through our fingers, much of it without us realizing it, and it'll be Christmas again. Someone told me once, or I read it somewhere, that we have no control over how fast or slow time moves. It is what it is, but what we do have control over is the speed we move, and that makes all the difference. If we're hurrying all the time, then it'll feel like time is flying by. If we just slow down, savor life and each day, be present in the moment, then time will seem to slow down as well. 

Simple but really pretty radical thought, especially in a world where everyone seems to be constantly in a hurry, even when they aren't. 


I'm - knitting socks from the loveliest blue stripey yarn my oldest daughter gave me for Christmas. The lovely thing about socks is that you just knit and knit and knit, and stop when you decide they're long enough. That applies for most women's socks anyway. There's something so very soothing about knitting something that doesn't even require one to consult the pattern very often, just knit. I've taken to knitting in the morning, with my first cup of coffee, while...


I'm - listening to Daily Audio Bible on my air pods. It takes about 30 minutes to listen each day, and my socks are slowly growing. It makes me feel English or Victorian or Little House on the Prarieish to do this, except of course the Ingalls family did not have air pods. Brian, the narrator, has such great insight into the scripture he reads each day - I highly recommend it. And it's free-thirty. 


I'm - heartsick over what has been going on in our country. Disappointed. Ashamed of how we're behaving. And hopeful that this too shall pass, and we will regain our sanity and remember we may be two parties, but we are ONE nation, under God, and learn to work together. There's much more I could say here, I could get very specific about where I personally stand, and how I feel, but I suspect that's part of the problem we have right now. Everyone feels the need to take a stand and die on their hill, by God, and maybe, just maybe we could all have a little less to say. Put to use that wise saying of God gave us one mouth and two ears for a reason.....


I'm - baking bread and talking about cooking techniques with my son who lives here in DFW. How gracious of God to know both of my daughters are 2000 miles away half the year, so he gave me a son who has always been interested in cooking, back to the days when he watched Frugal Gourmet with his big sister and they tore up the kitchen cooking his concoctions. Such sweet times we've had together this past week while he's been home caring for his wife who was hospitalized with covid, and their two kids who just recovered themselves. It's sort of amazing how therapeutic it is to hand knead bread, and even moreso to pull it hot out of the oven, slice it up and slather a piece with butter. He and I have plans to roast a turkey with all the trimmings when we finally have our Christmas dinner later this month, and he tells me he'll take the lead - hurray! I've cooked somewhere around 80 or so turkeys in my lifetime, and am quite ready to let someone else take over that duty. (BTW my first one, I left the plastic bag of parts inside while it happily cooked away in the oven.) 


I'm - learning to play Super Mario on the Wii our kids used to use, back in the early 2000's. Now it's here in our home, so our two grandkids here in DFW can play with it, and their squeals of laughter when I fall into the lava pits or fall off cliffs or am eaten by fly traps that look like pink tulips is priceless. So, so much fun! I want all our grandchildren to grow up remembering me as a Grammy who was willing to actually get down on the floor and play with them, and who always had a full cookie jar when they came for a visit.


I'm - reading Far From the Madding Crowd, and Honey for a Woman's Heart, and Quiet, all at once, a bit of each here and there, depending on how the mood strikes me. 


That's what I'm up to currently. How about you? 

Comments

Vicki said…
I don't knit but I've been spending my time quilting and cooking. Had some great meals from Blue Apron. Made 30 tiny prayer quilts for your pocket. They have tiny crosses inside. Read several years of letters from my Mom...that took a while. So many memories! Miss those letters. Trying my best to be good and safe. Waiting for my vaccination. About 9 of us went out to practice golf. Masks, 6 feet distance. Life is still good! You are missed here but we really don't see one another.
Bev said…
Well hello Vicki, and what a sweet idea to just sit and reread your mother's letters. I have a box full and should do that as well. I miss her so. I have plans, after I get caught up a bit more here, to start going through 40+ years of keepsakes from not only our kids but those that belong to Cub Sweetheart and me. I still have all my old report cards from elementary school. That would be the sweetest day! Miss you too, so sweet of you to pop in and say hello. xooxox
Susan said…
I want to learn to knit (and crochet). My friend is going to teach me how if we ever get together again (she lives four hours away, and we're in a pandemic and all. . .). Glady's Hunt's book Honey for a Child's Heart was our library guide when my family was young. Her recommendations were so good. We knew many of the books already, but others were happy surprises. You sound like a fantastic grandma! (I love playing with my grandkids, too.) I have spent a lot of time with family lately. For Christmas up north, for New Year's down here, and next week my daughter's family will come from Portland, and we'll celebrate my youngest granddaughter's birthday. And in between all of this-- work! I liked reading this pleasant, positive post!
Bev said…
Thanks so much, Susan, for popping by, and taking the time to say hello. Best wishes for 2021 :-)

Popular Posts