Seeing things in a new way

Jesus healing the paralytic by the Bethesda pool

We're already two months into 2022, and I would have sworn I'd posted here more recently, but alas, I was wrong. Where does the time go? 

I've been thinking lately about how we've been doing things differently around here. Or living more intentionally as one of my all-time favorite pastors, Pastor Rick, would put it. 

At the end of 2021 I was inspired by one of our tall, lanky grandsons to switch from in person piano lessons to online. It wouldn't have occurred to me, but I can see the benefit of flexibility when you're a busy teen, and there's the added bonus of no dreaded recitals!  I ended up choosing Hoffman Academy, a completely different approach than my past three years of lessons. I'm enjoying that the teaching is both reading music and playing by ear. And even for me, retired with a lot of flexibility to my schedule, it's awfully nice to take lessons at home in pjs at 11 pm if that's what works. 


Right now I'm working on learning to play, We Don't Talk About Bruno, which just makes me smile. (If you haven't watched the Disney movie, Encanto, do. It's adorable.) 

We listed our Idaho home on VRBO and Airbnb.  We rented it most of December, which surprised me. Who knew people want to go to snowy, cold Idaho in the winter?  Then we got a request for a long term rental, a young couple and their one year old goldadoodle Tuck, moving to the area, so that was great. We're blessed with a friend who cleans for us, and grandkids go over and stage the house before each arrival, leaving baked goods, fresh eggs, and a sweet note. So far so good.

Miss Charlotte

One of us decided we had a deep need for a pet, even though it doesn't make our dual-state lifestyle any simpler. Our daughter has two ragdoll cats, and they're like no other cat we've ever been around, so we brought home Charlotte (named after the spider and a friend) in late June. Eight months into ownership I'm completely smitten; Cub Sweetheart might not be so quick to admit it but he is as well. Charlaboo (nickname from grands) is hands down the most affectionate cat we've ever had, and having survived one flight of 2000 miles where she didn't freak out, we think this will work. For her and for us. 

I realized I wasn't calling my 96 year old Daddy nearly as often as I should. (Anyone whose father is 96 can't call too often.) So I've been much more intentional about taking time, and we've had so many lovely talks. Talks of an hour or so where I just sit and try to soak in his southern drawl and all the funny ways he says things, trying to store them someplace inside me, to pull back up down the road. I'm grateful and then some to sit and discuss his rhubarb plants, and his domino harem and what kind of pies or cookies he's busy baking and how it aggravates him that nobody else at Walmart is wearing a mask except him, and how some complete stranger paid for his breakfast because they saw his Veteran's ball cap. All the important stuff. 

And lastly, I've converted. From an instapot to an air fryer, and thank you to my hairdresser, Jessica who used to cut my hair in her kitchen, while her funny little white dog sat in my lap. I noticed she had two big appliances on her kitchen counter, and asking about them, I discovered the miracle of an air fryer. I could and should get rid of my instapot and crockpot because I never use either of them. The air fryer does everything they do and then some. Like taking raw potatoes and turning out crunchy french fries in 15 minutes. Amazing! I've baked cookies in it, made a meatloaf and mashed potatoes at the same time, scrambled eggs, it's incredible. Really, I could almost get rid of my stove because I so rarely use it anymore. I happen to have the Ninja Foodi, in case you're wondering. So life lesson is what most women already knew - listen to your hairdresser. She knows. 

Oh, one more thing - I had carpel tunnel surgery on both hands a few weeks ago, and it knocked me out of commission for most of the exercising I had been doing. No pressure on my hands for at least a month they told me, and they were right. So I took a Silver Sneakers class, not having very high expectations, thinking it would fill the gap until I could get back to what I'd been doing. But I LOVE them. I love the pace, I love the instructors, I feel like I'm getting a decent workout, saying that while knowing I'm not training for a marathon, but rather to stay upright and keep moving. And I especially love the camaraderie of those who show up faithfully, twice a week, no matter whether something is hurting (something is always hurting), and they cheer each other on. It's a blessing to just be with them. I especially love the older men who are brave enough to join a room of older ladies in stretchy pants.

And btw, if you don't have silver sneaker classes near you, or you aren't even the age to take them, you can find them on youtube for free, (click on the blue link above) which is wonderful when it's too cold and icy out to drive to the gym.


Oh and one more BIG thing :-) Has anyone watched the series, The Chosen? We binge watched Season One at home, using the phone app (free) and now we're going to our church each Wednesday, and watching Season Two with a group of people, then our pastor gives a commentary afterwards. I know nobody knows what Jesus looks like, but I'd like it if he really did look like Jonathan Roumie. I am completely enamored with this Jesus, who is quick to laugh, has a twinkle in his eyes, is kind and straight-forward, calls those who would never expect to be called, to be of any use, and continually gives and gives and gives to those around him. It is a truly beautiful series, and I can't recommend it enough. Weirdly enough, we found out that many of the episodes are filmed right outside the town we live in, in Texas! Like ten miles from us. I've been told if we go down this road, turn right, then left, then ..... we'll see the stage they built to film the Sermon on the Mount, so after we see that episode we'll take a little day trip to check it out. So watch it, then watch it again with someone else who needs to see Jesus in a brand new way this Lent and Easter season. Here's a link to watch the official trailor.  I'd say it's appropriate for children middle school and up.

So there you have it, pianos, cats, air fryers, Bruno and Jesus, not necessarily in that order.

Blessings,

Bev

Comments

Popular Posts