Crazy Head Talk

I'm reading (and doing the video study of)The Emotionally Healthy Woman, by Geri Scazzero . In her book, Geri tells us to QUIT eight things, and in doing so, we'll change our lives. 

Every chapter so far has hit much like a sledge hammer. Yep, I do that. Yes, that one too. Oh my, that as well. 

Number 7, Quit Faulty Thinking was like a 2 x 4 across the forehead. 

In her chapter on Faulty Thinking, Geri quotes Mark Twain, who said, 

"It isn't what you don't know that hurts you; it's what you know that isn't so." 

She goes on to say that we need to stop doing three things: taking things personally (when they likely weren't intended that way - people don't think about us nearly as much as we think they do); thinking things will never change, and overgeneralizing. 

The very day I read this chapter, on faulty thinking, I had had an interaction with someone, and when they didn't respond the way I thought they should have, I managed to do all three at once. Trifecta! And of course because this was all a conversation going on in my head, they had no clue. 

I'd taken very personally that they'd responded differently that I'd hoped; I thought to myself, 'well, they're just that way, always have been and always will be, so what did I expect?, and I then managed to decide they were like that about everything they did or didn't do. 

I spent some time stroking it in my mind, so that the worse they were in my mind, of course the better I was. 

Then I read this chapter and immediately saw myself and the situation through it. 

I grew up emotionally for a nanosecond, to tell myself a different story; maybe they were busy or didn't think or had something else going on; maybe what they had done had seemed like enough in their eyes, and maybe, just maybe I was being a bit hard on them. Maybe I was taking it personally, stamping them with a 'never change' stamp, and over-generalizing their actions to put them in a bad light. 

Because if we're honest, it often feels good to look at others in a bad light. It makes us feel better about ourselves. 

I can't recommend this book enough to anyone who wants to finally grow up emotionally. I've never been a big supporter of those 'can't adult today' or 'grow old but not up' t-shirts. I can see what faulty thinking does in my own life, my own relationships, so imagine if each of us grew up just a bit emotionally? What if we became better versions of ourselves? Sort of like marriage counseling - even if one spouse won't go, then the other should, because if YOU change, you fix half the problem. 

That may be over-generalizing, but I'm going to stick with it. What if we each work to grow up, fix ourselves, be a better version, drop some of the baggage we grew up with, then attached to our backs with gorilla glue? 

What if we quit having crazy head talk conversations with others, told ourselves the truth, then went into our relationships from there? 

Comments

Popular Posts