Oliver Pig and Princesses

One of our Grands has a birthday coming up in the next few months, and as I generally make them something, I plan ahead.

I was shooting for sewing Ken some outfits since he only has one pair of swim trunks. When I told this particular Grand's Mama what I was considering, she told me Barbie and Ken wasn't really her thing.

Hallie would actually prefer animals, stuffed or otherwise.

Hallie with her beloved Zucchini doll this summer


The two cabooses of our family are 5 and 7. They spend a lot of time together, and can get territorial about toys if there is only one of something. So for the past two Christmases I've shopped for them, buying different versions of the same thing. Pink princess dress, yellow princess dress. Pink Barbie, yellow Barbie (outfits, not dolls), and so on.

Hallie, on the right, is actually 1 1/2 years younger than Sarah Grace, on the left. 

7 year old Sarah Grace is very girly. Which works well since her life plan is to be a princess or Queen, whichever will do. 5 year old Hallie wants to own a petting zoo and shoot deer with her Daddy.

How did I not notice this?

I've been a Grammy for over 18 years, and maybe I've gotten into a routine, and quit paying attention.

So it was tremendously helpful for this one's Mama to point out she did not care if Ken had any clothes or not, but what she'd really like was an animal to paint, or play with on the floor, or to snuggle at night.

The learning curve is always there, I have to remember to pay attention to it.

Here's what I settled on:

Instead of a princess dress, a hand knit long cardigan, in her favorite color, to wear with blue jeans. I'll add a long sleeve t-shirt because she lives in northern Idaho.



And a hand knit Oliver Pig, 



With a pink body, tan pants, green sweater and white jacket.

She can snuggle him at night and possibly pretend to shoot him during the day. Or take him with her to sit in the deer stand with her Daddy.

The only thing she might like better is a live pig, but that possibly might not be welcomed by her parents.

And always, a bag of her favorite candy, and a little bit of money to spend at the store on whatever catches her eye. 

Comments

Popular Posts